Each week we will focus on a different letter of the alphabet. We will also be reading and learning about children from other countries around the world.
Munch It Monday: This will involve eating our way through the alphabet. We will have a letter related snack.
Touch It Tuesday: We will be making a puppet that corresponds to our letter of the week.
World Wednesday: World Wednesday will involve reading a book about children in other countries, looking at maps and the globe, corresponding jump start activities, and guest visitors.
Thoughtful Thursday: The children will listen to a story or music that corresponds to our letter of the week or our theme of discussion. We will also reflect on what we have learned.
Fun Friday: Friday will include various games, board games, large motor and small motor activities, etc.
Check-in Time: The children hang up their coats, take their folder from their backpack and put it in the folder bin. They then enter the classroom to turn their picture over which shows they are IN, and then sign in, in their individual name book.
Jump Start Activities: These activities vary. It could be a letter search paper, a letter maze paper, pattern design using different modalities, puzzles, a cutting activity, or a math activity using fine motor manipulatives, a letter match/sound match activity using clothes pins to squeeze and strengthen fine motor muscles, as well as sight word recognition and rhyming activities.
Rainbow Time: This is a gathering of class members in a rainbow formation. We then use this time to discuss the calendar and weather, create a weather graph and an attendance graph, and discuss the schedule and jobs for the day. We will do daily physical exercises and math equations. Rainbow is a time to introduce or review concepts, read or listen to a story, introduce new Center activities, spotlight a birthday child, share special items that go along with our theme or the letter/sound we are studying.
Centers: The children have a variety of Centers to choose from:
- Art Center - table top art activities and easel painting
- House Center - a play kitchen and refrigerator, work station and baby doll section
- Block Center - various types and sizes of blocks
- Puzzle Center - legos, duplo pattern squares, various puzzles, lincoln logs, Mr. Potato Head, etc.
- Dramatic Play Center - costumes, accessories, dress-up shoes, and thematic/letter related articles
- Doll House Center - large doll house with accessories and various characters
- Reading Center- books based on our theme as well as our letter of study
- Car/Animal Center- various toy cars and accessories and various animals
- Sensory Table Center - table filled with different sensory related materials, such as, sand, rice, corn, popcorn foam, water, etc.
- Teacher Directed Activity- a teacher directed activity each child will do
- Thematic Center- special activity based on the theme or letter
Not all centers are open each day. The closed centers are not featured on our centers chart. The children rotate from different centers throughout center time. The children are responsible to check in to a center and check out when done.
Clean-up, Wash-up, Snack: The children have classroom jobs that include several snack time activities, such as, passing out cups, placemats, napkins, and washing placemats. The children will clean up their personal trash and spray, with water, their place mat and wipe it down.
Friendship Circle: This is our time to gather before packing up and recess. At this time we hold hands and sing “As we leave this Friendly Place”.
Pack-up and Recess: Children are responsible to get their school folder from the bin, place it in their backpack, turn their photo to OUT, and line up for recess.
- Meeting for Worship
- Other Specials:
- Imaginative Listening with Shelley Nixon
- All School Gatherings