East Goshen Elementary School was built in 1958, but it did not include a kindergarten. Recognizing a community need, Barbara Dixon and Hazel Wright, members of Goshen Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), founded Goshen Friends School in 1959. Goshen Friends started as a kindergarten and quickly expanded to include preschool. Between 1988 and 1993, the school grew to include preschool through fifth grade.
The school’s buildings have been expanded and repurposed over many years, growing from an enclosed porch in the Meetinghouse as the first schoolroom to the modern classroom building that was completed in 2006. Now, a new generation of Goshen students prepares for the construction of a multipurpose building. The new building will be a performance space with a raised stage; a gymnasium with a basketball court sized for lower school age students; and a lunch room.
Over the years, Goshen Friends School has remained true to its roots. The Meetinghouse is still the heart of the community and Barbara Dixon's vision for a school filled with joyful learners where all would be “welcomed, respected, and appreciated” guides Goshen Friends each day.
We promote peaceful conflict resolution, trustful relationships, and respect for individual spiritual growth.